Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Literary List

Here's an excuse to update for once. Laurie tagged me, so here you go:

1. One book that changed your life:
I've never really had a huge eye-opening experience reading a book, but The Cost of Discipleship by Bonhoeffer is good, though very difficult to read on several levels.

2. One book that you’ve read more than once:
Lord of the Rings, twice before they started making the movies and a couple times since.

3. One book you'd want on a desert island:
Well, The Worst-Case Scenario Survival Handbook by Joshua Piven doesn't have a section on islands, so War and Peace by Tolstoy. I've never read it, but it's a classic and would keep me busy for a while.

4. One book that made you laugh:
Laurie already listed Hitchhiker's Guide, so Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams

5. One book that made you cry:
For a while when I was 11, I was really into the Animorphs series. One of the characters, Tobias was trapped in a hawk's body, which made him an outsider to his friends, and prevented him from being with the girl he liked. Yes, it was corny, but hey, I was 11. Other than that, there's really only when my eyes got bloodshot and watery from staying up way too late reading some of Azimov's stories.

6. One book that you wish had been written:
Since this is open to anything: How to Get Paid Tons Of Money for Playing Your Favorite Computer Games... Free Winning Lottery Ticket Included With Purchase

7. One book that you wish had never been written:
More that I hadn't read it: Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. I'm sure it's a good story, but I was 10 when I read it and it freaked me out. I couldn't go near big dogs or walk alone in the dark for months.

8. One book you’re currently reading:
Hmm, I haven't read more than a couple pages at a time in a physical book since around this time last year, including textbooks. Does Slashdot.org count?

9. One book you've been meaning to read:
Blue Like Jazz by Donald Miller... there's even a copy around here somewhere.

2 Comments:

At 8/02/2006 9:10 AM, Blogger tranthegirl said...

Hahaha that's funny about "Hound of the Baskervilles"... but you've grown out of it... and you even miss Nemo. Yes, yes, read Don Miller... hilarious, honest, challenging, good good.

 
At 8/02/2006 9:37 PM, Blogger Kevin Stilley said...

Regarding your answer to #7. I had a similar experience with the book, The Amityville Horror.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home