Tuesday, October 11, 2005

An update!

As is obvious, I've been putting this whole blog thing to good use. Even when I have time to add something, I don't really have much to add besides random complaints. Oh well, at least things are going better for now. I may even change the temporary title on here that's been up forever.

I never watched the Smurfs much growing up, but they still strike me as an odd phenomenon. Maybe it's because they're an attempt at political subversion in children. Somehow I don't see them as the beginning of the Blue Scare though. An article I found at work talked about how a UNICEF add campaign in Belgium is using them to try to impact people with the horrors of war and it's effect on children. It's sad that people are so desensitized to real violence and tragedy that they have to be ambushed by "safe" images or blatantly confronted with it to recognize the problem. I have to admit, though, that there is something sadistically funny about blowing up a village of mushroom houses with Smurfs scattering everywhere.



School has finally let up a bit. The last couple weeks I've had a constant load of tests to study for, homework to finish, and projects to work on, and having some time to take it slow is nice. Not that I've made great use of it, and if I were smart I'd be taking care of errands I've put off for months, but I could certainly get used to not doing anything all day. For once, I actually have a couple of classes that are somewhat fun. Database Systems is interesting and makes sense, and Computer Graphics is great. I've been wanting to take that class since I started college. My homework assignments so far are here. They're not anything incredible, but I'm proud of what I was able to put together for them, at least programming wise. The artistic part was mostly thrown in at the last minute to prove it works, rather than being the purpose. I keep meaning to put some time in for an assignment to make it all-around-cool, but that would involve not putting it off to the last couple days before it's due. That's still better than waiting till the day of, so I guess that's something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home